The Center For Policing Equity
Geospatial Research Scientist
New York, NY
About The Center For Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity is a research and action think tank that, through evidence-based approaches to social justice, conducts research and uses data to create levers for social, cultural and policy change.
The Center for Policing Equity is looking for a skilled quantitative researcher with a focus on geospatial data and science as well as a passion for research on race and policing. The Geospatial Research Scientist will focus primarily on producing high-level scholarship and public reports that leverage aggregated data from the uniquely robust and ever-growing National Justice Database. The National Justice Database is the first and largest database on police behavior in the country (e.g., vehicle stops, pedestrian stops, use of force, complaints against officers).
- Conduct advanced quantitative analyses on policing data, and contribute to reports and academic research articles relevant to the intersection of law enforcement and issues of racial and gender equity, with a focus on the spatial distribution of police behaviors and racial disparities.
- Help to develop, maintain, and maximize the utility of the nation’s first and largest database of police behavior data.
- PhD/ABD, (exceptional candidates with M.A. or M.S. will also be considered) in a relevant field (e.g., Geography, Criminology, Demography, Political Science, Sociology, Epidemiology, Psychology, Data Science), with an interest in social science and law regarding policing and social justice
- Published research articles focused on policing and/or race
- Experiences in geospatial research—using shape files; matching overlapping geo-coded data; using data from the U.S. Census and related agencies; analyzing spatial clustering, spatial lags and autocorrelation measures; creating maps using ArcGIS or other GIS software.
- Superior research skills; strong quantitative and analytic skills
Experience with geocoded data and multi-level modeling (using Stata, SAS, SPSS, R and/or Python)
See more at: //leaderfit.catsone.com/careers/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=9583480